Foxhangers Canal Holidays have been delighting customers since 1997 with our beautiful fleet of narrowboats and exciting holiday adventures.
Based directly on the stunning, historic, Kennet and Avon canal near Devizes, Wiltshire, we now seek a motivated and passionate Wharf Operations Supervisor to work as an integral part of the management team running the Foxhangers Hire Fleet on turnaround days.
The Wharf Operations Supervisor is responsible for ensuring smooth operation of all cleaning and maintenance activities for the Foxhangers Hire Fleet on turnaround days, upholding customer service standards and ensuring hire boat handover procedures are maintained.
In this important role you will be required to take the lead within a small team of Engineers, Cleaners and General Operatives.
KEY FUNCTIONS : Supervision on a day-to-day basis:
- Leadership / Team management
- Customer Service (interior standards, handovers & welcome backs)
- Health and Safety.
- Logistics (Boat movements)
- Engineering (co-ordinating turnaround work and specialist repairs)
- Housekeeping Supervision
Approximately 34 hours per week. On average 10 hour days from 8am on Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays and 4 hours on a Tuesday
Finish times will sometimes vary due to the nature of the business and its seasonal demands. You will need to provide flexibility, given some days could require you to stay until the last handover is completed, whereas other days may allow you to finish mid-afternoon. * Demands on the Wharf Operations Supervisor are reduced in our maintenance period from December to February. The company will be flexible in providing hours to suit the individuals needs and skills.
Customer service is central to Foxhangers and we believe is one of the factors that make our holidays special and different. We genuinely care about delivering the very best personal service to our customers and this role leads the team on ensuring that our Customers needs are met, including dealing with situations when occasionally things go wrong. A diplomatic and considered style of dealing with those rare but challenging situations is essential.
- Good boat handling skills
- Supervision of staff
- Confidence to liaise with customers
- Excellent communication skills with fellow staff members and customers
- Understanding of boat systems
- Hard working
- Fit and relatively agile
- Good team player
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to prioritise jobs
- Flexibility in working hours
- Attention for detail
- Stock management & order processing
- Clean driver’s licence
USEFUL ADDITIONAL SKILLS
- Diesel engine knowledge and maintenance skills
- Plumbing knowledge and fault-finding skills
- Basic woodwork skills
- Boat master/Helmsman license
- First Aid Certificate (training can be provided)
- Computer literacy – Producing work schedules & building new boat technical files
TYPICAL TURNAROUND DAY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead turnaround day team briefings
- Welcome back returning boats and crew
- Plan vacated vessel movements so that all checks & work can be undertaken
- Ensure all boat checks are completed ie: Damage; Engineering; Interior & Exterior; Water, fuel & gas; Pump-out;
- Co-ordinate any repairs
- Monitor internal & external cleaning
- Check that all boats are fully prepared prior to the customers arrival
- Welcome new the new crews and show them to their boats
- Ensure the relevant handover person is available
- Ensure that the relevant paperwork completed and submitted in timely manner
- Assist any of the teams should they fall behind schedule
- Undertake handovers as required
- Undertake ongoing staff assessments
TYPICAL NON-TURNAROUND DAY RESPONSIBILITIES (MID MARCH TO NOVEMBER)
- Prepare the schedules for the following weeks activities
- Co-ordinate maintenance work
TYPICAL NON- TURNAROUND DAY RESPONSIBILITIES (NOVEMBER TO MID MARCH)
- Assisting in the winter maintenance programme planning & implementation
- Undertake basic maintenance tasks on the hire fleet
- Provide training for new staff
Job Type: Permanent, all year round
Salary: £12.00-£14.50 per hour
- Pension Scheme
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Free onsite parking
- A beautiful working environment right on the Kennet and Avon Canal
- The chance to be part of a passionate team
If you think this could be the opportunity for you, please write to us telling us how your qualifications, skills, and experience make you suited to this position, be sure to mention your earliest availability and whether you would need to work any notice to any current employer. Please also enclose a full employment history CV. We look forward to hearing from you.
Applications to: email@example.com