Foxhangers Canal Holidays have been delighting customers since 1997 with our beautiful fleet of narrowboats and exciting holiday adventures.
Based directly on the stunning, historic, Kennet and Avon canal near Devizes, Wiltshire, we now seek a motivated and passionate Trainee Boat Joiner to help support our commitment to providing our customers with the best possible floating experience’s onboard a Foxhangers built canal boat.
The Trainee Boat Joiner and Maintenance Operative will need experience in Carpentry & Joinery and have some practical skills and knowledge of building maintenance related tasks. This role would suit someone with a current or recently completed college placement.
Reporting to the Technical & Project Team Leader, the role is mainly Carpentry & Joinery based but will provide an exposure to all trades, with opportunities to learn and develop competence in painting, plumbing, fabrication & mechanical engineering.
Day to day responsibilities will be varied and split between boat building and the maintenance of the hire fleet, throughout the holiday season and during the busy winter maintenance period.
There will also be some site maintenance, involving repairs and general upkeep of the property, workshop, equipment and infrastructure around the Foxhangers site.
- Boat Building, fabrication and internal fit out of boats
- Wood preparation, including sanding back
- Following precise drawings and designs
- Operating woodwork machinery & power tools
- Working with Wood using hand tools, to produce a quality finish
- Applying spray lacquer and hand painting varnish to internal wood
- Hire fleet maintenance and repairs
- Practical skills in Carpentry & Joinery (1st & 2nd fix)
- Have an eye for detail and able to produce high quality finish
- Ability to work under pressure, on own initiative and prioritise work
- Good communicator
- Fit and relatively agile
- Be a good team player
- Willingness to work outside winter & summer
- Flexibility in working hours
- Confidence to talk to customers
PREFERRED QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Practical skills and knowledge of building maintenance.
- A basic understanding of leisure boating or caravanning
- Current Driver’s Licence
- First Aid Certificate
DESIRED SKILLS (or willing to train)
- Welding & Fabrication
- Basic 12v Electrics
- Mechanical maintenance & engineering
- Manoeuvring and mooring of Narrowboats (RYA – Helmsman)